About Me

My photo
I'm Sian Pryce, a student at Wolverhampton Unversity, studying Graphic Communication.

Friday, 27 April 2012

The front cover...


These are just designs I sketched for the front cover of my magazine. I wanted a big photo to cover the whole of the magazine and I also liked the look of it bleeding off the edges. I wanted to do something different with the title too, but wasn't quite sure what so I also experimented with that.


This is the first possible design for the front cover. I love the photo I've used on this one it's very dynamic and looks intriguing. The only thing that worries me is that it could look bit too much and busy with the combination of windows and writing.


My second design for the front cover is probably my favourite. I like the simple design, the photo I've used is brilliant and the angle i've put it on works well! I think i've achieved the 'difference' I wanted with the title, by not using a capital at the start and placing it in the left hand bottom corner, as this isn't where we usually read from. This is definitely my favourite but still think more can be done to improve it.

Thursday, 26 April 2012

Indesign spreads


This is one of the first 'Hooray for Carbuncles' spreads using Indesign. I'm mainly happy with the layout. But there's still quite a lot that I can improve!




These are 2 different versions of my 5 article dps. I've changed around several things to try and make it look better but I'm still not completely happy with the design.

'Hooray For Carbuncles' article



I really tried to sketch loads of different alternative layouts again, the same as the 5 article DPS so I had a range to chose from which made it easier for me I think. Something that I included in quite a few of my sketches was a big photo, which I think worked well!

Choosing the font...


Here, I've researched different typefaces and selected my favourites and ones that i think are most appropriate for my spreads.

Sketches for 5 article DPS


These are my first lot of sketches for the 5 article DPS. I'm really pleased with them, and the selection I have come up with! I started off by sketching alternate layouts for each individual article then played around with the layout of the whole page!

Friday, 30 March 2012

Final Video for Inside/Outside

video

This is my final video for 'Inside/Outside' using iMovie and exported into Quicktime. I am so pleased with the way this video has turned out as I have never used the programme before. I've grouped all similar letterforms together to help the video run more smoothly. I managed to fade the music out at the end as the length of the photo's took it to an appropriate place to cut the music.

Music for Inside/Outside

The music I think i will use for the video is 'Let the Sun Shine - Labrinth'. I think the lyrics are relaxing and because it starts off quite slower but then speeds up, suits the video because I think it helps you get 'into it'. I would also like the music to fade out at the end if the length of the photos takes it too and appropriate place to cut the music.

Sunday, 18 March 2012

Inside/Outside Letter Forms

This is the last project for Vis. Com, it's called 'Inside/Outside'. We were asked to take around about 30 photos of different letterforms we are surrounded by. From manufactured type to letterforms we can see that objects make. Here are all the photos I have found, taken from a variety of places... 

 

Friday, 10 February 2012

A3 Layouts


These are what the layouts should have looked like in the first place but i'm glad i re-did them because i think they look so much better now. The 2nd one is my favourite, its visually interesting and i think it would make you want to read the article.
This was our 2nd task, but i actually did them wrong. They were supposed to be portrait layouts. I designed these 2 as double page spreads, but instead of throwing them away i've kept them and re-done them...

A4 Magazine Layouts


Theses are my 3 sets of A4 magazine layouts. The task was create a set of which looked like the belonged together or were a 'family' and do a simple layout, a more complex layout and the last one being more complex still. I think i achieved this on all of them, however i can understand if you found it hard to tell which was the more complex layout on the last photos the middle one looks busier but the last one is more complex i think because i've used a serif typeface and san serif typeface together in the title and it works. Also because i've used a bit of introductory text which is important in the hierarchy.